General Manager Dubai
Department: Market Operations
Reporting to: Director of Operations/ Co-Ceo Operations
We love what we do – and it shows! Time Out Market is the division of Time Out that brings our food and cultural experiences to life for our guests, readers and clients.
Our Market General Managers takes the lead in ensuring that the best of the city under one roof provides each of our guests and team members a memorable experience with each visit.
About Time Out Market Dubai:
Time Out Market Dubai picks up the baton and introduces the City of Gold to its own version of this tried-and-true culinary hub in Downtown’s Souk Al Bahar. Spread across 43,000 square feet, the curated dining destination encompasses 18 concepts, three bars, a sweeping outdoor terrace and so much more into one space that encompasses the best food, drinks and culture that Dubai has to offer.
As in its predecessors, the Dubai outpost follows a simple rule when it comes to curation: If it’s great, it goes in the magazine; if it’s unmissable, it goes in the Market. A meal at Time Out Market Dubai means you’re truly digging into the city’s most delicious dishes, cooked by the most exciting talent in town. What you’ll find inside is a hand-selected array of everything you could want to eat, drink and see in the greatest city in the world, all under one roof.
- Anticipate and exceed guest needs across all facets of the Time Out Market operation
- Continuously monitor the day-to-day activity within the market and work with managers, concessionaires and cleaning and maintenance staff to deliver a warm, friendly and guest centric market experience.
- Monitor guest satisfaction on all levels - which includes reviewing and responding to all guest comments on all relevant in-market, digital and social media channels
- Ensure that talent and technical production (lighting, A/V, Music) are working in harmony to create the appropriate mood for the guests
- Develop and implement operating standards, policies, and procedures to be followed by the management team and concessionaires for optimal TOM performance and guest satisfaction
- Maintain highest standards of guest service, cost control, and beverage quality and consistency in accordance with company's expectations and standards.
- Evaluate all relationships with outside partners, contractors, and vendors on a regular and timely basis to ensure ultimate service and profitability for the operation
- Maintain frequent communication with the Continent Leadership and the Executive Team to ensure they are aware of all major occurrences at the establishment
- Ensure inventory levels are maintained for facilitating proper food hall operations, enforce strict inventory controls, and participate in monthly inventory reconciliations in conjunction with purchasing and finance teams
- Ensure health, safety, and sanitation requirements follow the Department of Health, OSHA, and any city or state agencies rules and laws such as the Department of Buildings and the Fire Department, and ensure all managers are kept abreast of any changes in the law
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the venues preventative maintenance programs
- Ensure that all products are received in accordance with the venues receiving policies and procedures
- Ensure that private events, catering, and banquet functions are successfully executed
- Consistently monitor sales and expenses, approving all purchase orders before they are executed
- Work closely in the development of the budget; manage P&L and ensure managers’ report all variances on a timely basis (minimally, once a month)
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of all period-end financial statements and reports, and provide controls to ensure proper handling and accounting for all restaurant receipts
- Manage weekly forecasting of cost expenditures and staffing vs. sales
- Accurately forecast staffing needs for market and third-party cleaning staff to ensure optimum efficiency and customer experience
- Control cash and other receipts by adhering to cash handling procedures
Marketing Support / Revenue Generation
- Take a lead on marketing strategy and support in-house teams in planning and execution.
- Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of the company are met
- Work closely with the public relations team on a marketing plan that results in optimum recognition and maximum number of covers for the restauran
- Monitor market trends, research consumer markets and competitor’s activities to identify opportunities and key issue
- Oversee marketing and advertising activities to ensure consistency with product line strategy
- Work with Marketing and Event Management to ensure TOM cultural exhibitions and performances are booked and executed to TOM standards
Curation & Concessionaire Management
- Constantly review and improve the Concessionaire mix and market occupancy to ensure maximum revenue potential for the market
- Proactively engage in curation by shortlisting potential new concepts and be involved in the outreach and negotiation process
- Work with concessionaires to ensure the delivery of the highest quality food offerings, developing a positive constructive relationship to ensure a productive flow of feedback
- Evaluate all Concessionaire operations and meet with each Concessionaire on a weekly/monthly basis to review their operations and ensure TOM remains the ‘best of the city”
- Constantly review and improve the Concessionaire mix and market occupancy to ensure maximum revenue potential for the market
- Conduct a monthly meeting with all concessionaires to review marketing, PR and social initiatives and to garner feedback on the operations.
Team Member Development
- Operate with an open-door policy, listen to and understand requests of the team, respond with appropriate actions, and provide accurate information
- Responsible for to hiring, training, management, coaching, counseling, and evaluation of all members of the Time Out Market team
- Develop skills of the management team in accordance with the succession planning goals set by the compan
- Assists and conducts conflict resolution, corrective actions and coachin
- Oversee and ensure that employee performance appraisals are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that no members of staff are permitted to work if they are not suitably dressed or groomed
Skills and Experience
- Ability to work as a team, stay organized, handle various projects at one time, lead others, delegate
- Ability to provide incentives for staff to go above and beyond the expectations of their roles
- Ability to communicate effectively and assertively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff, clients, and the public
- Ability to speak to guests fluently regarding the food, beverage, and overall concept
- Ability to demonstrate and impose upon service staff the ability to service guests with utmost of care, service and excellence, utilizing the highest standards of service techniques
- Ability to follow-up and make accurate decisions
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude always
- Ability to keep an open and objective view
- Ability to listen empathetically and be respectful always
- Ability to maintain composure and stay focused
- Ability to maintain personal integrity
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment, and work under pressure and meet deadline
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following support functions:
Maintain compliance with necessary operational policies, including: Health and Safety, Food Hygiene, Maintenance, Emergency Procedures and Liquor Laws.
- 21+ years of age
- Possession of or the ability to possess all state required work cards
- Proof of eligibility to work in the UAE Serve Safe Certified
- High school diploma necessary.
Working Knowledge Requirements
Minimum of seven to ten (7-10) years of experience in the hospitality industry working in a high - volume food hall or multi-concept restaurant operation
Proficient in Windows MS Office, Gmail
Knowledge of POS and back office reporting systems, operations, food hall or multi-concept restaurant operations, beverage service, special events and banquets
Knowledge of profitability analysis and budgeting, cost of sales, payroll management, purchasing, receiving, inventories and cost controls as it applies to bar product
Knowledge of state and local laws as it applies to liquor, labor, and health code regulations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions:
Must present and maintain a professional image to further the overall theme of the
Must have good positive energy throughout the day
Must be able to read the computer monitors
Must be able to print legibly for employees, management, and guests to read
Must be observant and quick to respond to various situations
Must be able to move quickly through work and set the pace in the office and/or venue
Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time
Must be dexterous and able to participate in all service aspects.
Must be able to twist, tow (push or pull), reach, bend, climb and carry as necessary
Must be able to push and lift up to 25 lbs
Ability to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls
Ability to reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
Ability to talk, hear, taste, and smell
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
What Time Out look for in a candidate
Time Out is a company filled with individuals as diverse as the cities we live in and cover. At the same time there are common characteristics and values we all share. To join our team, you’ll want to…
- Be commercially astute
- Either have experience at or want to dive headfirst into a fast-paced transformative company in pursuit of excellence
- Think globally
- Have excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Have a high sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Be a team player
About Our Culture
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people. We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender, gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity. We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
About Time Out Group plc
Time Out Group is a global media and hospitality business that inspires connection and joy by capturing the soul of the world’s greatest cities through its two divisions – Time Out Media and Time Out Market.
Time Out launched in London in 1968 with a magazine to help people discover the exciting new urban cultures that had started up all over the city. Today, Time Out’s professional journalists curate the best things to do, see and eat in 333 cities in 59 countries.
Time Out Market is the world’s first editorially curated food and cultural market, bringing a city’s best chefs, restaurateurs and unique cultural experiences together under one roof. From cooking classes with top chefs to installations from local artists and live entertainment, Time Out Market captures the soul of the city.
The first Time Out Market opened in 2014 in a historic market hall in Lisbon, quickly turning into the most popular destination in the city with 4.1m locals and tourists visiting in 2019. The success of Lisbon brought further expansion in North America, with Time Out Market opening in five major cities in 2019: Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal. In 2021, Time Out Market expanded into the Middle East with Time Out Market Dubai, and more Time Out Market locations are in the pipeline including Porto, London, Prague and more.
Time Out Group was named International Brand of the Year 2021 in the Campaign Publishing Awards – awarding bravery, editorial innovation and forward thinking. While Time Out Market won the Most Innovative Food & Beverage Concept Award at the Global RLI.
Job Type: Full-time
Project ManagerParamInfo13169-Project Manager Experience: 9-12 Posted: 07 Feb,2023 Location: United Arab Emirates59 minute agoShareDubai+1 location
Maintenance ManagerTenarisAt Tenaris, you will join a global network of professionals working together toward a common goal: shape the future of energy through advanced tubular products and59 minute agoShareAbu Dhabi
Housekeeping SupervisorFIVE Hotels and ResortsFull-timeJob Description An Exhilarating Opportunity Looking to be a part of an award-winning team that leads at the forefront of Housekeeping innovation? We have the1 hour agoShareDubai
Operations CoordinatorFugroFull-timeJob Description Job Description We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Operations Coordinator to join the team on a permanent basis in Dubai.2 hour agoShareDubai
Engineering InternHDRFull-timeEngineering Intern - ( 171766 ) Description About Us At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction3 hour agoShareDubai